Deontay Wilder wants Joshua fight
Deontay Wilder has accused Anthony Joshua of running scared and challenged the Brit to a fight after the American made short work of Bermane Stiverne.
The first fight between Deontay Wilder and Bermane Stiverne went the distance and Wilder was awarded the fight after a unanimous decision. Despite winning all the rounds, Wilder was unable to knock-out his 39-year-old opponent.
The re-match was a much shorter affair with Wilder totally destroying Stiverne and claiming a first-round knockout, managing to put his opponent on the canvas three times before referee Arthur Mercante Jr intervened and stopped the fight with just one second remaining of the first round.
As soon as victory was secured, Wilder (38-0-0 (37)) turned his attention to Anthony Joshua:
I’ve been waiting on that fight for a long time now, I declare war upon you. Do you accept my challenge? … I’ve been waiting for a long time. I know I’m the champion, I know I’m the best. Are you up for the test?– Deontay Wilder, Pro boxer.
It is widely speculated that Wilder would be facing Joseph Parker (24-0-0(18)) next who holds the WBO heavyweight title but there is no doubting who Wilder has his sights on and was quick to call out the British holder of the WBA, IBF and IBO titles.
Joshua, who has won all his 19 fights by knock-out, has admitted he is surprised with Wilder’s comments. He said in a recent interview with IFL TV:
Deontay has called me out, which I did not expect as I’ve not seen any contract or offer in place. I’ve had to take it on, in my time off, to make plans to travel to America and discuss negotiations so I can become undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. I have been taking challenges throughout my career – even as an amateur I was doing that, and I fought for a world title in my 16th professional fight.– Anthony Joshua, Pro boxer.
Tyson Fury Legal Fight Could Bankrupt UK Anti-Doping
One fighter who will be hoping to have a say on the future of heavyweight boxing is Tyson Fury.
Former world heavyweight champion Fury is involved in a legal dispute with the UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) board and there are fears that Fury could sue the board for loss of earnings which would effectively spend the board’s entire £8 million yearly budget.
Ukad have said that the banned anabolic steroid nandrolone was discovered in a sample provided by Fury, which led to a provisional suspension being placed on the 29-year-old.
Tyson denies these claims and alleges that his high level of testosterone found in his system is due to him eating a diet that includes eating uncastrated wild boar.
Tyson has not fought since he became world heavyweight champion in November 2015 with his surprise victory over Wladimir Klitschko. A re-match with Klitschko was touted but Fury revealed that he had been struggling with depression and substance abuse. He told the Rolling Stone magazine:
I’ve been out drinking, Monday to Friday to Sunday, and taking cocaine, I can’t deal with it and the only thing that helps me is when I get drunk out of my mind.– Tyson Fury, Pro boxer.
There can be very little doubt that a Fury versus Joshua fight is the one that British boxing fans want to see and the noises coming from the Tyson camp suggest that Fury will be fighting again in 2018. Always willing to talk up a fight, Fury took to social media saying that he didn’t need to get fit to fight Joshua.
It is very likely that Tyson Fury will have a few warm-up fights before he would have a shot at Joshua. He would also need to convince the British Boxing Board of Control that he is fit mentally as well as physically before they would consider renewing his licence to box.