Crowd trouble as Tyson Fury wins

Tyson Fury’s much anticipated return to the sport was marred by ugly scenes of fighting between spectators. The self-proclaimed “Gypsy King” even stopped fighting his Albanian opponent to watch the crowd trouble that erupted during the bout.

Former Heavyweight Champion of the World, Tyson Fury, ended his 924-day exile from boxing with a comeback fight against 39-year old cruiserweight Sefer Seferi. The poor quality of Fury’s opponent was evident as Seferi refused to continue fighting after the 4th round, much to the disappointment of the crowd at the Manchester Arena.

Tyson Fury

Crowd trouble erupts as Tyson Fury returns to the ring. The fight was in danger of turning into a farce with both boxers showboating.

In the second round, a 15-man brawl broke out in the arena and Fury and his opponent stopped fighting as they watched the scuffles in the crowd. As Fury watched in amusement at the fight, Seferi declined to take advantage of Fury’s lapse of concentration and joined the 29-year-old in watching the disturbance.

Fury, who previously held the WBA, IBF and WBO world titles looked far from peak condition and despite losing seven stone from a high of 27 stone, it was evident that Tyson will need to train longer and harder than he ever has in his career for him to have any realistic hopes of re-claiming his throne.

Pre-fight Tyson’s management had claimed they chose Seferi as the opponent due to his “heart and courage” and his camp expected a long and tough fight that would help him shake off the rustiness after being so long without a fight.

On paper at least, you could accept that logic. Seferi had only lost one fight in his career, this was against heavyweight Manuel Charr who is currently ranked 30th in the heavyweight division. Seferi before going into the fight with Fury had fought 24 bouts and had a remarkable KO percentage of 88%.

The truth is Sefer Seferi was never going to beat Fury and almost treated the fight as an exhibition match. The signs were there in the weigh-in when instead of the animosity usually associated with boxing, both men were laughing and giggling and Fury picked his opponent up and cradled him in his arms. Even for Fury who courts controversy, this was a bizarre thing to do.

These antics continued once the fight commenced with Tyson kissing his opponent on the lips after the referee had given his instructions to the fighters. The fight was reminiscent of a Harlem Globetrotters exhibition match as Seferi matched Tyson with showboating himself, much to the annoyance of the crowd and the referee who warned Tyson about his antics.

In the third round, Tyson took the fight more seriously and put his superior reach to good effect. Being 11 inches taller and five stone heavier, Fury started to hurt the 39-year old.

A solid right hook visibly shook Seferi and by the end of the fourth the Albanian had decided he had had enough and asked his team to throw in the towel, much to the disgust of the Manchester crowd who threw objects towards Seferi’s corner.

Even promoter Frank Warren was upset with the lack of fight shown by the cruiserweight and post-match he expressed his disappointment. Warren took the unusual step of criticising Seferi saying that he picked him in the hope that he would have gone the distance with the Brit, something he did against WBA World Heavyweight Champion Manuel Charr.

Warren however was pleased that Fury had his first fight back under his belt and announced that Fury’s next fight would be held in Belfast on August 18th as one of the undercard fights at Carl Frampton’s headline show at Windsor Park. The opponent is as yet unknown but Brits Tony Bellew & David Price have been mooted as possible opponents for Fury.

Have you enjoyed this article? Then share it with your friends.
Share on Pinterest
Tyson Fury retuns

Similar Posts